Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Crash Weekend

Like the tasmanian devil, we attacked our turnaround weekend with enthusiasm.  We travelled to the island Saturday morning, catching the 7:00 AM boat.  Think about what time we had to get up in Marion to make that boat!

Classic to our trips, we were loaded down with plants, linoleum, cedar shingles, and paint.  I left Barry at the ferry terminal in Vineyard Haven to go get the truck in long-term parking.  When I got to the truck, I could not get into it.  Usually, we lock the key inside and use the keyless entry.  Well, the keyless entry would not work.  I hopped back on the bus and we ended up loading all of our stuff into a taxi to the house.  Got to the house and our key would not unlock the front door!  Someone had turned the deadbolt to the setting that doesn't allow the key to work.  After prying open a small window just enough to crawl through, I was in!

Time to hit the floor running!  The back of the house has been powerwashed and looking great.  I sanded and primed the trim around the back door.  Next, I climbed the tall ladder to sand and prime the trim of the "doghouse" window on the purple side.  Barry put preservative on the sill under the house and primer on some of the "soft" shingles that had been powerwashed.

We managed to cram a full day's work into half a day.  Time to treat ourselves.  We took showers, not that this would get all the paint out of my hair or off my hands.   The MV Chowder House has been on our list of "gotta eat there" for a long time, well tonight was the night!  We had a great time sitting at the bar, watching the Preakness Race, eating chowder, mussels and fries.  The atmosphere was just what we needed.

Sunday morning was another drive to get a day's work done in half the time.  I potted all of my plants (window box, 2 hangers and planter).  They look great!  We both painted the trim around the back door.  Barry continued putting coats of Tamale Red on the backscreen door.  I also put 2 coats of Silverscreen under the eaves of the doghouse and the first coat of the blue trim around the window.  Clean the house and we are out the door!  Not bad for 30 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment